by Ticketstroom 21 October 2015.

Springboks captain, Fourie Du Preez claims victory for South Africa with a late try at the Rugby World Cup in London.

The Springboks clashed with Wales at the quarter-finals claiming the semi-finals spot on Saturday evening at the Twickenham Stadium, London.

South Africa displayed a strong composition after losing a match to Japan 34-32 in the opening round of the tournament at the rugby world cup 2015.

Fourie du Preez


The Springboks played against Wales and won the match by a 23-19, after Du Preez was given a pass by number 8 Duane Vermeulen, breaking through the Wales tight defence from the back to the touch line. In the 75th minute Du Preez pulled a surprising move that made the Boks claim victory and be placed in the semi-finals. NewsWatch365za reports.



Handre Pollard scored a goal through a kick for the Springboks in the first half, however, more crucial ones were missed in the second half putting the Boks and Coach Heyneke Meyer under pressure.

The Wales’ head coach, Warren Gatland, went through a difficult time during the quarter-finals as he saw one of the players being sent off the Twickenham stadium due to brutality in the field which led to certain injuries on the players. Scott Baldwin who suffered a neck injury in the second half was substituted by Ken Owens who was fit to embark on the battleship.



“It was a massive bash-up for the forwards, but it could have gone either way. We’re just lucky we came out on top. We were confident coming into it, we had a game plan, but we got put on the back foot. I think we can definitely take a lot from this game. We needed this before heading into the semi-final.” Said Vermeulen when asked by The Guardian (

The first half started and the Wales had led with 6-0 to South Africa just after 12th minute in the field.

While in battle, Gareth Davies scored, putting Wales in the lead 10-9. Wales made a mistake by giving South Africa a penalty that was utilized by Pollard putting Springboks in the lead with 12-10.

Wales took the lead before going to the interval time by leading with 13-12 after Biggar scored a goal.

In the second half the Boks were granted a penalty which Pollard had missed. The Wales were conceded a penalty which Biggar made sure that he scored, placing Wales to be in the lead 16-12.

The Springboks took a storm when they made way for Pollard to drop a goal making them to be on 15-16. South Africa was given a chance to score through a penalty unfortunately Pollard missed the kick again.

Wales tried to storm up again when Gareth tried a kick which was then blocked. Another penalty was granted to South Africa, this time Pollard scored a lead goal 18-16.

Biggar given the opportunity kicked the ball in to make it 19-18.

“And from the very next scrummage South African No 8 Duane Vermeulen, who had become more and more of an influence as the match wore on, broke blind and fed scrum-half Du Preez with no defender in front of him. Du Preez duly scored, and though Pollard missed the conversion, it was 23-19 with only just over four minutes remaining.” As reported by The Telegraph.

Sources: NewsWatch365za

The Telegraph, The Guardian.

Previous post

There is no more story.

Next post

Boks Meet Their Match With All Blacks